Let me tell you how much I love broccoli! I think it’s definitely one of the top 3 vegetables. At least in my book!
I think I like it so much because while growing up, my mom (the amazing, intelligent woman that she was) would put cheese on it. GENIUS.
I think a kid will eat just about anything if you put cheese on it. I will forever stand firm by that belief. My kids are proof of that.
Anyways, I eat broccoli probably about once a day, if not more. It’s my go to. And I now have a new favorite way to eat it!
Cheesy broccoli will always be near and dear to my heart because it’s DELICIOUS, but I had to figure out another way to love it that was a little healthier because CALORIES and I’m an adult, gosh darn it!
My Genius Discovery:
I’m pretty sure that roasting a vegetable is the adult-equivalent of putting cheese on it.
Can you name any vegetable that doesn’t taste better roasted rather than steamed? If you can, then more power to you! I’ll just be over here roasting ALL the veggies.
I adapted this recipe to be more my taste because 1) I love anything with breadcrumbs and 2) lemon juice has a very special place in my heart. It’s a delicious way to add flavor to something without really any calories. What more could you want?
The trick is to stir the broccoli around in the oven while it’s cooking at least once or twice. This is to get as much of it roasted and brown as possible!
After it’s finished cooking, you’ll toss it with a little lemon juice and zest. Finally you can throw it all in a bowl, sit back, and bask in the glory of having had a part in creating perfection. You’re welcome!
Let’s do this.
How To Make Crispy Roasted Broccoli:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Wash and cut up broccoli florets.
Side Note: This is the knife set I use. I would HIGHLY recommend these! They are such a great deal and are still going strong after 5 years of heavy use.
3. Put the florets on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil sprayed with cooking spray. Pour olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper on top and stir it around with your hands or a large spoon.
4. Spread broccoli out in a single layer and give the florets plenty of room so they brown properly.
5. Sprinkle panko breadcrumbs on top.
6. Put in the oven on the middle rack and roast for 20-25 minutes depending on how crispy you like your broccoli to be!
7. Stir the broccoli around halfway through the cooking time to ensure as much browning as possible.
8. Once out of the oven, add lemon juice and zest to taste and stir.
Crispy Pan Roasted Broccoli
- 2-3 heads of broccoli florets
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice (to taste)
- Optional: zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and cut up broccoli florets.
- Put the florets on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil sprayed with cooking spray.
- Pour olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder,salt, and black pepper on top and stir it around with your hands or a large spoon. Spread broccoli out in a single layer and give the florets plenty of room so they brown properly.
- Sprinkle panko breadcrumbs on top.
- Put in the oven on the middle rack and roast for 20-25 minutes depending on how crispy you like your broccoli to be!
- Stir the broccoli around halfway through the cooking time to ensure as much browning as possible.
- Once out of the oven, add lemon juice and zest to taste and stir.
Dear laurasscratchkitchen.com administrator, You always provide practical solutions and recommendations.
Dear laurasscratchkitchen.com owner, Thanks for the well-researched and well-written post!
Hello laurasscratchkitchen.com owner, You always provide great examples and case studies.
Hi laurasscratchkitchen.com administrator, Your posts are always well thought out.
Hi laurasscratchkitchen.com administrator, You always provide key takeaways and summaries.
Hello laurasscratchkitchen.com owner, Thanks for the well-structured and well-presented post!
Dear laurasscratchkitchen.com owner, Your posts are always well-supported by facts and figures.
Dear laurasscratchkitchen.com owner, You always provide great resources and references.
Our family’s favorite veggie side dish! My kids love it
Broccoli is my favorite and this has to be my favorite way to eat broccoli now!
The lemon juice addition is kind of brilliant. This is so healthy and tastes so good!
Broccoli is one of my favs! And this is amazing!