Soup is always in high demand at our house. My husband might be the biggest soup connoisseur I’ve ever met. And this Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken Soup was a hit with him along with everyone else in our household!
My husband will always want soup if I ask him what meals he wants for the week. He never gets specific though. He just wants “soup.”
Then it’s up to me to figure out which one to make!
Sometimes I get in a soup rut and want to mix things up! That’s where this recipe came to fruition.
See, my husband loves soup, but he’s also very passionate about making sure he gets his protein in and as few carbs as possible. Well, sometimes that leaves me with a difficult task!
But this soup really fit the bill and I was so excited to have him try it!
It’s full of protein with the chicken and cheese and has very few carbs, which makes it a great soup alternative if you’re trying to eat healthier.
All with a little kick at the end thanks to the salsa verde!
It can even be Keto if you leave out the corn!
I tried it initially without the corn, but I thought it needed a little extra something and the corn was the perfect addition! Feel free to leave that ingredient out if you want virtually zero carbs.
This soup is full of shredded chicken, broth, heavy cream (or half & half to cut some calories), cream cheese, salsa verde, cheese, and corn. What a life! Oh, and throw some cilantro on there and we’re having a party!
And the best part (in my humble opinion) is that all of this can be thrown in the instant pot (or crock pot) and done with very little effort!
I believe the best recipes are fast, easy, and can be done while chasing some little ones around the house.
Of course, you can always cook this on the stovetop. It would just take a little longer and you might have to babysit your soup a bit!
But I would highly recommend getting an instant pot if you don’t already have one. They are a lifesaver!
Alright, I’ll get off my soap box now. To the recipe!
How To Make Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken Soup:
1.Set instant pot to saute. Add oil and diced onion. Cook until onion is translucent.
2. Add chicken breasts, stock, frozen corn, salt, and pepper. Set pot to seal and set pressure cook for 10 minutes.
3. Let natural release then shred your chicken. (I recommend doing this with your stand mixer and paddle attachment. It makes it so easy and is so much faster!)
SO MUCH FASTER!
4. Add the chicken back to the pot and set to saute.
5. Add salsa verde, heavy cream (or half & half), shredded cheese, cream cheese, and cilantro. Cook until all cheese is melted.
6. Serve with extra cheese, cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream if you dare!
If you’re looking for more soup recipes, try our Potato, Corn, and Bacon Chowder!
Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken Soup
- Pressure Cooker (or you can do it on the stovetop or crockpot)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts or roughly 2.5 pounds
- 64 oz chicken stock (You can use broth, but stock has more flavor!)
- 12 oz frozen corn (Leave out if you're doing Keto)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 16 oz salsa verde (You can do less if you are sensitive to spice)
- 1 cup heavy cream or half & half
- 8 oz monterrey jack or mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Lime wedge to squeeze on top
- Extra cheese for topping
- Optional: dollop of sour cream
- Set instant pot to saute. Add oil and diced onion. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add chicken breasts, stock, frozen corn, salt, and pepper. Set pot to seal and set pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- Let natural release then shred your chicken. (I recommend doing this with your stand mixer and paddle attachment. It makes it so easy and is so much faster!)
- Add the chicken back to the pot and set to saute.
- Add salsa verde, heavy cream (or half & half), shredded cheese, cream cheese, and cilantro. Cook until all cheese is melted.
- Serve with extra cheese, cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream if you dare!